1. When students are going on a fieldtrip it is important to talk about safety precautions. For example, tell students to stay with the group and what they should do and where they should go in case they do get lost.
2. Since this is an outdoor fieldtrip where students will be walking around, the students should protect themselves from the sun by wearing sunscreen, hats, and sunglasses. Students should stay hydrated and drink water. The students will also be advised to wear comfortable, walking shoes.
3. The rules of the arboretum should be discussed with the students (i.e. students are not allowed to feed the ducks, students should not pick any of the plants,..).
4. The students should have some background knowledge about the place that they will be visiting so that they can better appreciate and understand where they are going.
5. If plant adaptations are going to be talked about during the fieldtrip it would be advised to review vocabulary with the students. This would be specially helpful for English learners and students with special needs.